Pregnancy After Methotrexate-pg112838229518

385 Replies
Newbie - September 3

I forgot to add--All this info. is stuff that I have either heard or read about on the Internet. So who knows how completely valid everything is. You might want to follow up with your doctor too. :)

Kristin72 - September 5

Hi Newbie, Thanks for your info :) Glad to hear your numbers have dropped signifigantly. Mine only dropped less than 5%. I think they were 2950. They wanted me to come in last ight to get another round of shots too. I am bf'ing a baby so I want to make sure that my numbers would not drop on their own..so I asked if I could wait a couple more days. They agreed. But they said I am taking a huge risk..for rupture. I also asked for another ultrasound..but she said all the indicators point to a ectopic and that even the rise can be atypical. Arghh! I hate the thought of taking those shots again. I have stopped bleeding and stopped cramping. The bleeding/cramping was mostly on day 2 and 3. Mind you I was bleeding before the drug too. My pamplet also says that is to be expected. But the fact that I have stopped cramping and cleeding I wonder what that means. Newbie did yur doctors tell you not to conceive for 6 months? Why is that? I fyour levels have gone back to normal? IS the drug suppose to cause birth defects? I am anxious to coneive again because I just turned 40 yesterday. I wanted to have conceived while I was still 39..but that is completely out the window now. The doctors told me only a few months. But they are residents at a womens college hospital in toronto. Do you know what it is called when they inject the dye? I would like to request that so I too can know if my tubes are blocked. Thanks for that tip. Hope you are feeling better. I wish you all the best with your future conceiving. Do you have other kids? Or would that have been your first? Sorry for the ignorance I should have maybe read this entire post. Take Care Kristin

Newbie - September 5

Hi Kristin! So sorry to hear about your 5% drop. That's such a bummer. That happened to me as well--that's why I went in for the second shot one week after the first. The doctors also made a big deal about potential ruptures while talking with me about things--so I went in for the 2nd round. Rupture could cause infertility (loss of tubes) and possibly even death. That scared me enough to go back to the hospital for the shot. BUT--I totally understand that your case is different in that you are b-feeding. Here is what I know about methotrexate: If you are currently pregnant it does significant damage to the embryo such as limb deformaties. I have no idea what it does to the future eggs though. I have heard that the drug leaves your system quickly. However, I have also read that traces of it can still be found in certain organs many many (around 100) days later. Perhaps you can ask your doctor and get back to me on that one! The test where they inject the dye is called HSG. It stands for this incredibly long term. Sorry to hear that the doctors wouldn't do another U/S. It's just nice to know where the pregnancy actually was. In my case, they kept doing them but couldn't find anything because it was too early. For my own sake, I wanted to know the location of the embryo. But to this day, it still remains a mystery. No, I don't have any kids. That was my first pregnancy and it has been a horrible and very sad experience. I am turning 30 very soon and ALL I hear from people is to try and have one by 30. Oh my gosh, no pressure there! AGH! You are still very young--40 is nothing these days. Look at all those women who are conceiving into their 50's! Happy birthday, by the way! Please let me know if you ever find out more about the effects of this medication. :)

ROC - September 6

Hi Kristin and hi again Newbie. I had a methotrexate shot in March to deal with an ectopic and was advised very firmly to wait 3 months before ttc. The doctors diagnosed it from the HCG levels and because they could see nothing in the uterus. I had been wondering about the shot and was worrying that the doctors somehow had got it wrong, but 6 days later we realised that they were definitely right about the ectopic and that the shot hadn't worked when the tube ruptured and was removed. Despite being a very unpleasant experience, In a way it was a relief to know for sure that it WAS an ectopic(they showed me pictures of the swollen tube) and that also it had been now dealt with completely. I just want to say I understand how frustrating the 'not knowing' is but again I want to tell you how quickly the 3 months went by (actually, it is 6 months ago now and they have flown by). I'm trying not to worry too much about being minus one tube. It was also my first pregnancy and I am thirty five. I'm really trying to take it one month at a time, by the way, the makers of pregnancy tests are making a fortune out of me!!!! It helps to read your experiences and to realise that you are not the only one who this has happened to. Thanks

Newbie - September 6

Welcome back ROC! Great hearing from you. I went in for another blood test this afternoon. OUCH. The first needle went in but nothing happened. So the nurse wiggled the needle around on the inside. ICK! I'd rather they re-stick me than wiggle the thing around while pressing with their fingers on the outside of my skin. It's like they are trying to guide the needle from the outside while the needle is already inside. That didn't work. So then they went for the other arm. I could really do without any needles for awhile. I know that my number was already at 0.9. But everyone wanted to play it safe and check one more time. Keep me posted on how you guys are doing too. :)

Newbie - September 6

ROC--after you got your first shot of methotrexate, did they tell you that you needed another? Or did the rupture happen before that? I'm so glad to hear that you are all better now!

ROC - September 7

Newbie, you described that needle thing a little too well. Yuck, its given me goosebumps! From the beginning, what happened with me was that originally I had a lot of pain in my side which I thought (hoped) was indigestion. My doctor contacted the hospital who said to come in to the emergency room, but no one was too worried. In the emergency room they did a scan and thought that they could see a small sac in my womb(huge relief!) but booked me in for an early scan the following monday. That scan showed nothing, neither did the TransVag, so the doctor felt that it was a miscarriage but wanted blood tests to rule out ectopic. To be honest, I cant explain it, but over the weekend prior to the scan I already knew that I wasn't going to get good news. Any way, I had a blood test that day, and two days later, which showed my levels dropping but they weren't happy that they were dropping fast enough so suggested another test two days later. That one showed that the levels had increased which is an indicator of ectopic. They took me in that day for the methatrexate shot and told me that I had to wait three months to ttc. I had actually originally been given the option to have the surgery or the shot but they recommended the shot and I suppose no one would opt for surgery if it can be avoided. That was on a Friday and it was a bank holiday weekend so it was wednesday before I had a blood test, the following day was the day the tube ruptured so I never had the second blood test that I imagine would have shown an increase and would have led to another shot. Anyway, thats my story so far....and a long winded answer to your question. (Are you sorry you asked? :-)) I'm not sure they would have given me a second shot, I got the impression they would have gone straight to surgery anyway. Perhaps its a regional thing. I'm in Ireland, where are you? Either way I am grand now. A few tiny scars. How long is it now since your shot?

Kristin72 - September 8

Hi Roc and Newbie, So sorry to hear of your ectopic too..but glad it is behind you. I wish you great luck in ttc again. Even minus a tube I have heard it still has nothing to do with your fertiility so a succesful conception could be reight around the corner for you..best of luck. For me,I went in on Thursday and my hcg had risen again.Arghh!! I was then given the two shots again in either hip. I talked to the chief gynecology resident and asked her several questions about this drug. She told be with confidence I only needed to wait 1 cycle before ttc again. I was shocked by this and had her repeat the answer. She told me the levels leave your body in about 48hours and are completely gone within a week. She also reminded me that the levels administered are very low. Even in a repeat dose..they are not doubled up by your body. I guess that is why I am allowed to nurse after 48 hours. I will not know until Monday if this dose has worked..she could not explain to me why my body rejected or was not responsive to the dose basically at all. Regardless the second dose is in me and I will find out on Monday the results of this one. For me I will probably wait a couple of cycles to ttc again..but was happy to hear of this advice..I hope they are right for my future babies sake. How are you doing Newbie? Did you have another hcg or is that it for you?

Kristin72 - September 10

Well, I have been cramping and bleeding like crazy. This is probably a sign the methodextrate is taking it's affect. I go in for and hcg..to see if it is working..crossing my fingers..so I can put this behind me. I know it will still take time for my hcg to go back to normal. I just hope the second dose worked. From the way I feel (really bad) it should be working. I have felt very emotional and at first I was not attached to this pregnancy..But now I feel a sense of loss. It is just one more black mark it the ttc area. After a miscarriage a missed miscarriage a terrible delivery and now an ectopic I thank God every day for my 9 month old..it truly is a blessing and a miracle the gift of life.. I was able to conceive and deliver successfully I just hope I am able to do it one more time...especially after this drug :(

Newbie - September 10

Hi ROC and Kristin! First I must say how happy I am that we have each other to talk to about this. Methotrexate is not that common compared to D/C. I never thought I would find people on here who have gone through a similar experience. My blood draw came back at 0.5. So in about one week it dropped from 0.9 to 0.5. What is going on? The doctors are not worried because it's virtually zero...but how can my numbers drop from 21 to 0.9 in one week...and then only from 0.9 to 0.5 in another week. Weird. I am in Illinois. ROC you said you were in Ireland. How about you Kristin? It's nice to know that Methotrexate is used worldwide. When my doctor called me with the most current results, he stood firmly at six months until ttc again. The medication goes through your system fast--so it doesn't sound like they are worried about that as much as making sure the uterus and tubes go back to normal. I'm really surprised that they only told you to wait one cycle. Please let me know if you learn anything more about this. All the research I have done on-line says three months for one shot, six months for two. BUT I would LOVE it if it wasn't true! How about for you ROC...what did your doctors say about waiting? Kristin--the bleeding and cramping are a good sign. I had that a day after my second shot as well. Then my numbers took a big fall. Then all the other weekly blood draws slowed way down after the big inital fall. Also, make sure you are NOT taking any vitamins right now. Since this med is trying to fight with the folic acid in your body--you don't want to be taking anything with extra folic acid. Please keep me posted on your progress ROC and Kristin. You both are in my thoughts. Trust me, I know how painful this whole thing is. It's such a sad loss. I wanted my baby so badly--and now to have to wait six months to try again---feels like an eternity when everyone around me is getting pregnant so quickly on their first try. I am SO happy for them--but I can't help but remember my loss.

Kristin72 - September 11

Hi LAdies, My levels have reduce womewhat after my second dose of meth. They are now 2660 from 3000. I am cramping and bleeding badly. It has been a rough few days. Hope your are doing well. When will ttc again Newbie? After reading this thread it seemed many of the girls became pregnant shortly after the shot. take care talk soon

ROC - September 12

Hi N and K. Good to hear from you both. Kristin, I'm sorry you have had it so rough. I hope you are through the worst of it. Newbie, I had a single shot and was told firmly to wait 3 months before I try and to be honest, as disappointing as it was to be told that it is not something that I would cut corners with. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm trying again now, but no luck to date. I know what you mean about everyone getting pregnant at their first attempt. It seems the whole world is pregnant or has just had a baby! I went to visit a a friend and her newborn the other day and just couldn't bring myself to hold him. Weird, eh? Emotionally, how are you two doing? I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been through it can appreciate what a b__w it is.

Newbie - September 12

Hi ladies! ROC--if you don't mind me asking--how long did it take for you to conceive with your pregnancy that ended up being ectopic? And then how long have you been trying since the three month waiting period after the methotrexate shot? You may have already mentioned all that already in previous posts...sorry! I'm just curious if it will take me awhile to conceive again once I start trying. I wonder how badly methotrexate messes up our cycles. Do you know? Did your periods come right back on track after the shot? I probably will wait the six months as suggested by the doctors. It's not worth not waiting and then something going wrong with the pregnancy or with myself. If something went wrong it could end up setting me back even worse. So, as of right now--I am waiting unless I hear differently from my doctors. I am kind of a "play by the rules" kind of girl. BUT...I definitely don't judge those who don't wait. It's everyone's personal decision. Kristin--what do you think you are going to do? ROC--you asked about how we are doing emotionally. Well, it goes up and down. I have good days...and not so good days. It just depends. How about you? How are you holding up? Thinking about your girls! :)

Kristin72 - September 13

I talked to my doctor again and asked her about ttc again. She was firm to me that I only needed to wait one cycle...hmmm knowing what I have read and what I have hear from you guys I said well why are other people told to wait longer? She said our circ_mstances and dosages may be different. But as far as the methodextrate shot goes it leaves your body within 48 hours of adnministering it...and that the levels are VERY low...I asked what about having it twice..she said it is like a new dose and does not double up the other. Of course go by your own doctors instructions. I hope mine is not misinformed. She is young but she is the head of the gynecology deptartment. I will get another second opinion on this before I proceed with anything. My body has been through the ringer. I am bleeding heavily. I go today for more hcg draws. Truly though by the time our bodies get back to normal it should be a few months. My hcg is going to take a couple of cycles to get back to normal too I am sure. For me I have had good luck getting pregnant ..just not with many successful pregnancies accept my 1 precious daughter of 9 months. I think I already mentioned this but I lost a baby at 4 months pregnant prior..the heart just stopped beating. I had genetic testing and there was nothing wrong gentetically. They called it a missed miscarriage because I did not miscarry naturally. I had to have a D&C and I had retained placenta. Got pregnant 2 cycles post D&C again and I even had two odd cycles post D&C. They also left a 5 cm peice of placenta in me again(my former do sucked) I bled for 9 weeks post delivery. Now just 2 cycles from my period returning I got pregnant again with this ectopic. I read that and ectopic can be caused by complications or infections due to a D&C among other things. I feel jipped. BUt I have to remain positive and have faith in my body my mind and my abilities to ttc. I will let you guys know if my levels have dropped more. Newbie what was the date of your injection? Roc what was the date of yours? Are your guys using/going to use any methods ttc? basals? OPK's? Take care

ROC - September 13

Hi guys. I have been very lucky. As soon as we started to seriously try for a baby, I got pregnant which as you know didn't work out. We were allowed to start trying again mid june and I haven't had any luck yet. I did get a very faint line on a pregnancy test last month (got real excited) but two days later it was gone. I've heard that can happen sometimes. The egg and sperm meet, but the blastocyst doesn't implant. Bummer. What I take great comfort from is the fact that at least know that I can definitely get pregnant. I know some people who try and try and get nowhere. I know I can get pregnant all I have to do know is manage to get it to head on down to the uterus and not be loitering in the tube! :-) My periods went back to normal immediately after the operation. I ovulated as normal and everything which was great. I'm heading into my fertile period soon so I have a busy few days ahead, ha ha. Keep your fingers crossed guys.

Newbie - September 16

Hi ROC and Kristin! This past week was nuts! It wasn't anything inparticular--there was just so much to do. It's nice to be able to finally relax a bit. Kristin--my injection was on 7/20 and 7/27. My numbers didn't go down to close to 0 until 8/31. It took such a long time for me. When we ttc again--I will probably take the route of basal and opk. My cycles are so long and unpredictable. It will make it a guessing game without any help! I am still confused about the waiting time advice that we received from our doctors. How can they be so different? I know I received a very low dose as well. I believe they prepare the shot according to patients' weight. How are you feeling? What are the newest updates? Hi ROC--I agree with you that we should be happy knowing that we can at least conceive. Good luck this month with ttc! It's exciting that your window is now!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?