December 2008 Babies

219 Replies
jessb - January 24

Colleen, I feel so quilty for how I handle dd#1's behavior, I usually lose my temper and yell and scream at her. I know thats not the best way to deal with it but I get sooo frustrated sometimes, she has to make everything so difficult. As far as my friends having the still born baby, it is the worst thing I can imagine. They knew the baby was having some issues, but I dont think anyone expected him to be still born. I cant sleep at night it bothers me so much. They are have a service at their church for the baby tonight. I feel like they wont even want to look at me b/c I just had a healthy baby and it will hurt too much for them to think about it.... Yes, dh is going out all the time and leaving me home with the kids all day and night. I try to talk to him about it and he just tells me that I need to go out with my friends. Well, ok, but thats not really the point. Sigh... Oh well, enough of my complaining. What a negative post, maybe in a few days Ill have happier news. I hope everyones lo's are doing ok.

austynsmommy - January 25

Hi ladies. I was wondering if I could join in on this thread? My son Andrew was supposed to be born in January but he decided to come a little early and all the january moms kinda just drifted away from the thread.

jessb - January 25

Of course, the more the merrier. How is your lo doing?

TaraO - January 25

Colleen, Jess, I am so glad to hear you are doing well. How are your little ones sleeping. My little guy doesn't like to be put down. I try so hard to just place him in his crib, however he just screams and screams. It's so stressful at the end of the night. It's not too bad during the day. He will go down without being held just not at night. what secrets do you have.

austynsmommy - January 25

My lo is doing great. He weighed 5 pounds 4 ounces at birth now he's up to 8 pounds. He's a great sleeper as well. My first two were horrible sleepers.

jessb - January 25

Tara- How old is your LO? I dont have any secretes, my dd is the same way. My first dd was like that too. I dont think any infant likes to be put down. The "experts" say you should put them down when they are drowsy but still awake and let them fall to sleep on their own,but I have yet to see this work for any baby. Honestly my dd is 9 weeks and I still have her sleep in her carseat at night. I know its terrible but she will sleep for 4,5,6 hours at a time in it. I did this with my first dd too. I think soon I will start just laying her flat in her crib, though. I cant remember exactly when I did this with my first dd but I think it was around 3 months that I started laying her in there. I have noticed lately that if I lay dd on her activity mat sometimes she will fall asleep on her own if she is tired so I guess maybe she is ready to get out of the car seat. I just am avoiding it b/c I know it might be a rough couple of nights at first and i still feel so tired even just getting up 1-2 times a night. My only suggestion is just to start a routine now, the same time everynight take your lo somewhere dark and quiet and rock them until they are very sound asleep and then lay them down. The routine part wont really seem to matter now, but several months from now when they are older they will be so used to it they will know it means bedtime. My dd has to be held for a looong time until she is very sound asleep before i put her down. Otherwise she will wake up crying.

clindholm - January 26

Hey girls- My internet has been down at home, again. Austynsmommy- Welcome and congrats on your little boy! You are so lucky to have a great sleeper! Does he still get up to eat during the night? Jess- I know what you mean, I lost my cool a few times with my dd and felt so guilty about it. She really was trying to push my b___tons. She still does now but since I have been back to work I don't have as much time with the two of them. I am at a loss as to how deal with it. How did the service go for your friends baby? I can't imagine how hard that would be. Years ago, my best buddy's wife lost their baby a few days before her due date from a cord accident. They were devastated and had a full funeral with the little tiny casket, it was just the worst thing ever. My heart just broke for them. Luckily they went on to have a healthy baby who is now about 16. As far as your dh, is this something new, the going out all the time or had he been doing this all along? He doesn't know how hard it can be with the kids day and night with no break. Maybe you should try to get out just so he has a taste for what your dealing with. Tara- My lo will go about 6-6 1/2 hours at night which is not too bad. He takes about 4 oz every 3-4 hours. He's not too bad of a sleeper which is great b/c being back at work is hard. He just turned 3 months on Friday but his adjusted age is only a week over 2 months. He's getting pretty porky now and has tripled his weight. My ds also sleeps in his carseat and I think that helps, you may want to try it. I try to alternate him in the cradle so he doesn't depend on the car seat too much but he is in the carseat about 80% of his sleep times. The baby swings are also wonderful. I always put him down while he's awake (have no choice w/ a toddler too). Another thing about putting him down, supposedly their deepest sleep is with the first 15-30 minutes after they fall asleep so that's the best time to try putting your lo down. Gotta get back to work, Colleen

TaraO - January 26

Thanks girls. We got 5 hours last night. My lo is 5 weeks, 12 pounds last week and eats 5-6 oz every 3-4 hours. I also have an 11 year old who is great . Jess I am sorry to hear about your dh, maybe he's just adjusting, they dgo through things in such a strange way. My dh can be a real you know what when he's pushed too hard by me.. IWe pull closer hey pull away who knws...

jessb - January 26

Well, dh and I talked some things out. I guess he was feeling very stressed and over whelmed. He always used to go out once and a while but I felt it was more than ever now and thats what was p__sing me off. I said he was sorry and will try to be more supportive.... we'll see..... I almost kicked him out this weekend so I guess he finally realized how bad the situation was. Though thats partly my fault I dont always speak up when something is bothering me and then I tend to b__w up later. We both promised to work on some things so hopefully things improve. I just never imagined how stressful having a family would be. I dont know if its this hard for everyone but I feel like there is so much strain on my family between work, dh, and the kids.... I cant imagine having more than two children!! Whoever does must be a saint!!

jessb - January 26

Oh the service for our friends baby was awful. I really couldnt take it, it was just so sad. They had pictures up of the baby after he was delivered- I couldnt even look!!! So it was a pretty stressful weekend to say the least!

clindholm - January 30

Hi girls- I hope everyone is well & their lo's are sleeping through the night (haha, we wish!) I have been so busy at work lately. Tara- 5 hours for a 5 week old is pretty darn good! Jess- I hope things continue to get better with dh and the girls. Do you have any family that can take dd#1 out for the day? My MIL did that for me once a week and it was great. I hate to say it but I really looked forward to that day. I had the entire day with just the baby and could even grab a short nap which was heaven. Luke is going about 6.5 to even 7 hours (sporadically) at night. I am soo looking forward to a full nights sleep in the near future. He is smiling alot and making sweet little cooing sounds. He is such a calm and sweet baby. I am so lucky. I don't think I could handle it if he were like my dd! Colleen

clindholm - February 3

Hey, where did everyone go? I hope everyone's lo's are doing well. Colleen

jessb - February 3

Hello, We are doing good. The little stinker still isnt sleeping through the night. Though for several nights she did sleep 10:30[ to 5:30am, which was awesome! Just shy of what I would need her to do when I go back to work, if she could make it to 6am that would be great!! But then some nights she wakes up at 2 or 3am. Sigh!! I try to feed her alot between 9 and 10 pm when I lay her down but sometimes she just falls asleep and I cant get her to eat that much. Maybe going back to work will help me get her on a better schedule. I go back in the middle of the week next week and I am getting very nervous!!!

jessb - February 3

I also started running again. Im gonna try to run at night at least 3-4 times a week. And I did sit ups yesterday-ouch- sore today! I think it might be too little to late though, I think I need to buy new work pants.

TaraO - February 3

Hey!!! Been busy, My LO decided to take a turn and quit sleeping all together. I called the dr cause he was crying immediately after every bottle, within 10 minutes of feeding. Apparently it is acid reflux and he is on zantac now. He was screaming 18 hours a day in pain. I felt so bad for him. Then I felt like I was going crazy because I couldn't get anything done. I think he slept from 6-7 which is when I need to be up for my other one. Any way, It seems better now, he's still only sleeping for 2-3 hours at a time at night. He still eats 6 oz at a time every 3 hours. Everyone keeps telling me to give him a bit of cereal in his last bottle to make him sleep a little longer. My grandmother is old school and believes that the dr's don't always know best. I never know what to do. I want to sleep but I don't want to hurt him. Jess how old is your lo? What kind of work do you do? Colleen did things get more routine when you went back to work? People say when you have to be on a schedule, it's easier to get the babies on one? I don't go back till April 27th but I don't want to go back ever. I would love to be stay at home mom, but can't afford to...I hold our benefits, so it's not going to happen.. Anyway, sorry about the long post. One more question, my lo seems to be congested in his nose? Is this common? I am going to put on the humidifier today..

jessb - February 3

Tara-Its pretty common for LO's to be congested. Especially when its cold out. You could use the humidifer, also try saline drops and sunctioning the nose if it gets really bad. Im so sorry your lo was in pain, hopefully the meds help. Brooke is hit or miss with sleeping a couple of nights she slept for about 7 hours but its not all the time. I think when they are about 3 months its okay to put a tiny bit of cereal in there bottle to keep them fuller a little longer. I know the doctors say not to but I did it with my first lo at three months and she was fine. My family did it with their kids and they were fine too... I guess its a personal choice. Just so you know the rice cereal may bind them up and make it harder for them to poop though... I am a child protetion investigator. I investigate abuse/neglect reports. Its a tough job but I love it. Going back to work definitely helped me get on a schedule with my first dd so hopefully it helps me this time too.

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?