Potty Training-pg118126984873

7 Replies
gracie - June 7

Hi, I have a 25 month old son who I would like to potty train, or at least start. A few months ago I bought a small toilet and it is in the bathroom I also got one of those smaller toilet seats to place on the big toilet. the small toilet he ignores, only likes to use it as a stool to play in the sink. The lid on the big toilet, well I tryed to put him on it and he freaked out. It scared the c__p out of him. My mother keeps saying he should already be trained,and that I have missed my window of opportunity. I am hoping for some ideas that worked for other mothers. . Thanks so much...... gracie

babybradley - June 7

Im kinda in the same boat as you. My son is 3. We sortof missed that window of oppurtinutiny and now Im going nuts.. He has started showing more interest in the toliet again BUT iam now constantly on him..... I keep telling him "lets go potty in the toliet like a big boy" and things of that nature and even if he dont go right then he is listening to me and has even started trying more.... good luck and let me know if you figure any thing else out so I can use it too!!! Oh and he loves to pee outside... How do I change that??

chickiepoo9 - June 8

i dont think you can really miss a window it will happen all kids get there eventually you just have to be patient and consistent my son works well with rewards for going on potty some kids do well with just alot of praise but i would start my getting him some big boy undies and let him where those instead of diapers so he no's what it is to feel wet and have consistent times that you go to the potty when he wakes 30 min after breakfast lunch dinner they usually have to go 30 min after they have a drink but i would say if you are to pushy they dont like it so when my son resist i will stop for a few days and then try again and he usually does well for a few days then fights it again so i give him another day and he is slowing getting it!

marie7 - June 9

Hi, I agree with chickiepoo, my ds was 3 and only sporadically using his small potty. I got him some big boy undies for him to wear during the day (stayed with diapers at night for a while till he had good control, etc). Just be prepared, as ds went through several changes of clothes a day due to accidents for a while till he got the hang of it. Also we just jused the small toilet until he got the hang of it, then started using the seat on the big toilet. For us the real struggle was getting him to BM in either of the toilets, which I say just be patient, accidents are going to happen. He won't be in diapers for ever.

billsgirl - June 9

i potty trained my son late in the game too. he was about 3. at first i just had his him go in with his dad and he saw how boy were supossed to go potty. that worked really quickly. in order to get him to go number to. i took him to target and showed him the big boy underwer. he really wanted the superman's. i bought them for him and told him he couldnt wear them until he did number 2 in the toilet. it only took me one time to fully train him that way. i can honestly say we never had any accidents durrin the day.

in the woods - June 10

I started potty training my 28-mo son on May 25th - so today is 15th day. Pull-ups disappeared from the house that day absolutely and completely. We have about 30 underpants - and we needed them bad the first 8 - 10 days. The last 5 days, he's catching up and tells when he's about to go so we have time to run to the potty and to pull his underwear down. Yay!!! Yes, it's all about patience and determination. He's getting to be about 80% trained AT HOME and about half the time outside - too much distraction. I do not expect any miracles and if it takes the whole summer to train him that's OK. It's a major change of a major habit, and little people have different abilities grasping the major change, just like big people.

sahmof3 - June 11

The window of opportunity is a different age for each child. My son was not trained with peeing on the potty until a few weeks after 3... and a few months after that for doing #2 on the potty and learned how to stand to pee... which was quite an accomplishment for us because he was still non-verbal (he has Asperger's Syndrome) at that point and it was hard to know what he knew and what he didn't. Anyway, he learned sitting on the small potty first and then moved to the big potty with the insert seat. My dd was trained by 2 1/2 (she basically just trained herself and took us along for the ride lol), but a few weeks later decided to quit and refused to go on the potty until just before turning 3. Then she decided no more diapers and within a week she was fully going on the potty :-) She would never use the little potty, only the big one with the insert seat. Justin will be 2 on July 7th and so far doesn't seem to have a clue when he has to go and doesn't even care if there's poo in his diaper, so I don't think it's worth trying to train him at this point. I don't know what technique will be needed with him LOL.

Jodi - June 22

you all might call me crazy, but my son is 15 mths. no that is not a typing error 15mths. I bought a potty chair for him and he loves sitting on it. I figure it isn't going to hurt to maybe try it. my dh and I both take him to the bathroom with us and let him know what we are doing. So anyway tonight I put him on his potty chair before bathtime and he actually we he was so excited and so were we! I don't know that he actually knew what was going on, but we are going to try and stick with it. I hope it works out for us. The way I seen it was: After several times of putting on his shoes then going outside, he now knows what it means to wear his shoes, so I guess I figure it would be the same thing learning with the potty chair, they have to learn it somehow right? well good luck to you ladies!!

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?