Pregnancy After Methotrexate-pg112838229518

385 Replies
liltif - March 9

Hey ladies, I don't know if anyone reads this but I am proud to announce that I am 10 weeks pregnant!!! We went to see an RE in Nov/Dec and I was diagnosed with PCOS, plus only having one tube, our chances of conceiving on our own were less than 2%. Well my last af was Nov 20 and nothing happend. I did not ovulate in Dec. So Jan 8th I had a blood pg test done to make sure before I took provera to jump start af. It was negative. I always start on the 3rd day after the last pill, well came day 4, and I told DH and he told me that I was pg and to take a test. Well lo and behold I am!!! It was a BFP at 3.5 weeks! Every thing is going great! We have had 2 u/s and the last one was a week ago today and we saw the arms, legs, eyes, and it was moving! I am being watched like a hawk and I am high risk, but everything is perfect! I am due Oct 4th. I am very close to my second trimester. (at the end of the month). I hope that everyone is doing great, and that there are more bfp's and the babies that were born a while ago are doing great! Take care and God Bless! Tiffany

navyboo80 - March 13

Hello to all, don't think anyone really checks this anymore. I'm Melissa, and my daughter is 9 months old, and crawling everywhere. She's beginning to pull up on things, and tries to walk. Unreal to have all this. To anyone reading this that isn't preg or has a baby, there is hope. I have posted my story here in some of the previous posts. Good luck to all.

ROC - May 31

Hi Melissa, It's been great reading your story. I'm 10 weeks after the methatrexate injection and am hoping to try in two weeks time. Congratulations on your baby girl! I hope all is well.

armywife4life - May 31

Hey everyone...I have had 2 ectopic pregnancys.. the first one ended with a rupture and me losing my left tube, however this last ectopic happend last year and I was also given a D&C then 2 doses of Methotrexate. My hcg levels took 2 months to get back down to zer after the 2nd dose of Methotrexate and we were told to wait 6 months before we TTC, which wasnt a problem because my husband deployed to iraq right after our loss...he came home this past april for 2 weeks and I fell pregnant again however I lost this pregnancy also . We are both 33 and have a 15 year old son which we are blessed to have, so we are calling the baby making quits. Cant go through anymore losses

latricelovelace - June 13

first i want to say hello and please lets keep this post going. im new here but im very grateful to be here i have been searching since the dr. gave me THAT shot on May 14 for any answers or simualar situations like mine. and i have finnally found this site at 1:00 a.m. The dr. gave me shot beiliving i was pregnant in my tubes beacause the didnt see anything on my ultrasound i was about 3-4 weeks. i wish iwould have another oppinion. me and my husband have been trying to get pregnant. we have two other kids 13 and 10 im only 31 and it seems harder to stay pregnant i keep miscarring. i had an ultrsound and found out i do have a lot of fibroids in my uterus doues anyone else have this problem

liltif - July 17

latricelovelace, I would of had another opinion that early on in pg. I dont' know much about the fibroids. I wish you the best of luck! Armywife4Life, have they checked to see if that one tube is blocked and that is causing the ectopics? I also wish you and everyone else the best of luck! As for me in case anyone is wondering I am 28.5 weeks pg with a healthy baby girl. My edd is 10/04.

Bonnie - July 27

hey there. I had an incomplete miscarriage and one shot of methotrexate. my hcg levels went down to zero within 2 weeks, then i bled for a while, so they put me on birth control to stabilize the bleeding. i stopped bleeding and i think i had a normal period since. it lasted about 4 days and stopped. i am now on birth control for the next month. any suggestions when we can start TTC again? the doc said wait until after the first period but i'm scared to have another miscarriage.

ROC - July 30

Hi Bonnie. Sorry about your miscarriage. I had a shot of Methatrexate in mid march to deal with an ectopic pregnancy and I was advised by my doctor to wait 3 months before trying again. I think this is to allow time to let the drug leave my system. Can you check again with the clinic where you had the procedure? Perhaps you had a lower dose than me or something. In the beginning i thought that 3 months seemed like an eternity to wait, but it pa__sed and now we can try again.

Newbie - August 7

Hi to all! Thanks to EVERYONE who has shared their stories. It helps me feel like I am not alone in this journey. My husband and I tried to conceive for the first time at the end of June. We got pregnant right away. I felt changes in my body very early on. I also felt some cramping and pains on my right side so I saw an OBGYN. They took my HCG count and it was 53. Three days later 62. Two days later 91. Two days later 109. I had numerous ultrasounds where they found a cyst on my right ovary. He thought it was the corpeus Luteaum (sp?). It was too early to see anything else. He kept telling me I was a rare case because I discovered this pregnancy so early. From the HCG numbers not doubling, he suspected a non-viable OR ectopic pregnancy so he suggested Methotrexate. The first dose made my levels soar up to 223. I had no idea it was going to do this and I was completely thrown off. I broke down crying thinking that my husband and I just made the wrong decision because the preganancy was perhaps fine all along! But then I was told later that Methotrexate sometimes makes HCG levels surge. Three days later I was at 208, which meant my levels hadn't dropped enough. So, I had to get a second dose of Methotrexate. I bled heavily the morning after. My levels dropped to 101 and then 93. Again doc was concerned about levels not dropping properly. I was told to wait six months before trying to conceive again. I had no idea I would have to wait that long if I received two shots. I am just devestated. I have been poked and prodded SO many times these last few weeks. I go in today for another transvag. ultrasound and blood draw. I pray that I finally get some good news that my numbers are dropping and that they cyst has reduced in size. Doc says that if numbers plateau, I will probably have to go in for a laproscopy (sp?) procedure. That scares me greatly! I actually still feel pain/tightness on my right side, so I really have no idea what is going on. Thanks for reading my story. Any advice would be great.

ROC - August 8

Hi Newbie. I'm sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. It's a horrible thing to have to go through. I also worried at first that maybe the doctors had made a mistake, I think thats a natural thing to do (also I think I was looking to blame somebody for SOMETHING! I was so angry.) All I can say is that five months have gone by very very quickly since my shot. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your six months goes by as quickly. Let me know what happens with the transvag. ultrasound and blood draw. Good Luck!

Newbie - August 8

Hi ROC. Thanks for responding. Doctor called today and said my HCG values went from 93 to 67. So, I guess the numbers are slowly dropping. I am grateful about the decrease. I was scared that the value would level off. The transvag. ultrasound went well too. The cyst is hardly there anymore and the uterus wall lining has gone back to normal. SO, now the waiting begins. What scares me is that this was my first pregnancy. I wonder if I will ever have a successful pregnancy--especially now that Methotrexate went through my system. I am turning 30 soon--and I hear everyone saying that you should try to have your first by 30. Geez, no pressure or anything!!!

Kristin72 - August 29

I was diagnosed witha possible ectopic. I was given the methodextrate by injection yesterday. I am also nursing a 9 month old. I did not nurse last night..which was hard as she nurses her self to sleep and also feeds once a night. I usually feed her about 5 times or so in the day. Anyway, I too am nervous about trying to conceive again after taking this nasty drug. Also if it will have an effect on my daughter even if I do not nurse her for the next 2 days as that is how long they have told me to wait and that only less than 1% will get pa__sed through my milk. My levels went from 1000 to 1269 to 1800 every two days. 1800 yesterday.(I just found I was pregnant on Friday the24 Aug) today is Weds29. I was alarmed that my levels increased that much the last day but they felt because they had not doubled they still felt it was not a normal pregnancy hmmm. Nothing was seen in my uterus but it was not conclusive that something was in my tubes. I am p__sed about thaking that drug..but I can only move forward and hope for the best. I wonder how long we are suppose to wait to ttc again? I was 5 weeks 5 days pregnant. Newbie~how did things progress for you?? Thanks

Newbie - August 29

Hi Kristin. My heart goes out to you. I was also angry that I took the Methotrexate route since it was never confirmed that I had an ectopic pregnancy. All tests were "inconclusive" but were pointing in the direction of an ectopic or inviable pregnancy. Either way the baby wouldn't have survived and the mother's health is very important. According to websites, this medication is the best route to go for ectopics IF you are hoping to conceive again in the future. The downside is that you have to wait AT LEAST 3 months to try and conceive again. I think the same goes for D & C right? But in my case, I have to wait six months since I received two shots. Unfortunately, my numbers are dropping VERY slowly. I think the last time I posted I was at 67 HCG. Then it went to 50, then 32, then 21. I received one shot on 7/20 and another on 7/27 and I am STILL waiting for the HCG count to fall to 0. It is now almost September!!! It's so sad because this is something I wanted to badly--and everytime I go in for a weekly blood draw it is a reminder of what I have lost. Good luck with your numbers. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I heard that this shot is 98% effective so hopefully your numbers will drop fast. I must have fallen within the 2% range. On top of that, ectopic pregnancies are not too common as well---so go figure! Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket or something! Have a good night and hang in there!

Kristin72 - September 3

Hi Newbie, They were not convinced with me either. In fact my hcg was rising. After my shot I went in on Saturday and my levels had gone up to 3060. This shocked me as I was thinking imagine if they diagnosed me wrong and gave me the meds too early. I was only 5 weeks 5 days. I am sure they should have seen something but 4 doctors could not say for sure. They did think my numbers werenot going up properly..But my last pregnancy started very low and progressed sortof slower in the beginining.. ANyway waht do you think of my rise in hcg after having 2 injections in either hip? Do you tiink I willl have to have another injection. I had cramping and browishn spotting after =wards 2-3 days..But now I am ok and no more bleeding. How are tings going for you?

Newbie - September 3

Hi Kristin. After my first round of shots (one in each hip) my numbers also surged up. It is very natural for that to happen--they told me it shows that the medication is working. I did not have any bleeding or cramping. Just like you, I was freaked out that this pregnancy may have been okay all along. I was rea__sured that it is very normal to have the HCG numbers go up after the shot. But after my second shot (one in each hip again)--I bled very heavily and had bad cramps as well. I just got a call from the doctor yesterday that my numbers dropped to 0.9! Finally!!! I want to go in for one more blood test just to be 100% sure. Now I have to wait six months from now to try and conceive again. They also want me to go in for a HSG test in a few months. Since they suspected an ectopic pregnancy they want to make sure that my tubes are not blocked. So they will inject a dye into the cervix and look around. It's amazing what can be done. Kristin, you mentioned that in your last pregnancy all your numbers started off slower--is that the pregnancy you had with your 9 month old? I've been told that your numbers can start off low--but the most important part is the doubling or rapid increase of the HCG numbers. If your HCG numbers are currently in the 3000s, they should easily see something on the transvag. ultrasound. Could you possibly request one just to confirm if it was either in the uterus or tubes? In my case, I hate not knowing! But the doctors suspect it now is an ectopic because it took so long for my numbers to drop. Keep me posted on your progress. It's a good sign that you have started bleeding--it's a side effect of the drug and probably means it is working.

Newbie - September 3

I forgot to add--All this info. is stuff that I have either heard or read about on the Internet. So who knows how completely valid everything is. You might want to follow up with your doctor too. :)

ADD A COMMENT:

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?