Indigestion and Heartburn
Does your stomach feel kind of bloated and icky these days? Do you feel as if your upper chest is burning? If so, you may be suffering from indigestion or heartburn. This is a common problem for pregnant women, and though uncomfortable, it should go away soon.
During pregnancy, progesterone and estrogen are at work relaxing your stomach muscles. That means food will stay in your stomach longer and cause you to feel bloated and feel the ill-effects of indigestion. Also, as your womb grows, it presses on your stomach, causing indigestion and heartburn.
To prevent indigestion, try some of the following tips:
- Try eating smaller meals a few times during the day rather than one or two big meals
- Sit up straight when eating as this will take the strain off your stomach
- Avoid spicy or fried foods
- Sleep well propped up; use lots of pillows on your bed
- Drink plenty of milk and always keep a glass nearby in case you wake up with heartburn during the night
- Don't eat or drink before you go to bed
- Don't take antacid tablets before checking whether they are safe during pregnancy
- Reduce concentrated sugars and fats
- Eat more complex carbohydrates such as breads, cereals, pasta, rice and whole bran
|Find out how other women found relief from their heartburn during pregnancy in the forum