Expectant Fathers: Dad's Hospital Bag
Labor is a long and hard process, and supporting the mother of your baby during this time is very important. So, as a dad-to-be, it is your responsibility to pack a hospital bag, decide what goes in it and carry it during the time of labor. Below are a few things that you may want consider carrying:
- A change of clothes: The labor may be a long time and you may not have time to go back home and change. So, bring a pair of clothes, perhaps a shirt or a comfortable sweater to wear. A pair of comfortable footwear is good too.
- Grooming supplies: Toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deodorant, facecloth.
- Camera, film and batteries if you want to take pictures of the labor and delivery.
- Snacks to eat while you are waiting. Avoid garlic, onion or anything that has a very strong odor.
- Cell phone and a phone list to contact friends and family.
- Games, books or magazines. You could also carry handouts from your childbirth classes and go through them while you wait.
- Medications that you or your wife may need. Perhaps some pain relievers for headaches.
- Massage oil if your partner wants you to give her a massage during labor.
- Music for labor and a tape or CD player.
- A pen, paper and a watch